August 31, 2019

Sublo and Tangy Mustard #13 - Convention

Here's the biggest episode yet of Sublo and Tangy Mustard! Fresh out of the oven this morning, it's "Convention" in which Mr. Wubhamer takes the boys to a Subpar corporate convention for performance evaluation. Sublo is freaked out by seeing the other Sublos, while Tangy Mustard is excited at the chance to meet the mythical Subpar Sirens.

The first version of this episode was written and recorded back in 2015 as part of the first batch of episodes -- it was going to be the sixth and final episode of the first set. But after I got through production of the others (and abandoned the original third episode) I wasn't happy with this one, so I set it aside and eventually re-wrote it with the second batch in 2017. We recorded the new patches and I finally got to work animating it back in March of this year. It's been a slow but fun production! There were a bunch of aspects that were challenging including the technical componenents of the train scene, the Sirens' dance and light show, the water effects in the pool, some of the lighting, and just the larger scale of the story.

The story was inspired by a lot of things-- the way travelling to a new place can be exciting but also scary. The alienation and unease I feel at conventions, where I seem to be exactly the same as everybody else (I usually like to feel like I'm doing my own thing).  My friend Kevin, who plays Tangy Mustard, going crazy when we saw his favourite J-pop group Perfume perform live. The lameness of corporate branding and fake excitement. The terror of job evaluations. And probably a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now. Anyway I hope you enjoy it!

No comments: